Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Web Writing Principle #1: Keep it simple

“Keep it simple” is the number one principle to remember when writing online.

I keep in mind a quote by Martin Fischer, an author and psychologist, when I write for the web: “Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification.”

When I write for the web, I endeavor to impart wisdom.

Why?

Most of my readers aren’t even going to read my web words. Seventy-eight percent of online users only scan the text, and on average a site visitor will only read 28% of the words on a page. (source: Jakob Nielsen alertbox reports, www.useit.com)

So, I need to make sure the messages and the words are simple, concise and to-the-point. I need to throw away the fluff and cut out the marketese. I try to cut what I would write for a hard copy page in half; and then cut that in half.

There are some proven techniques that help me transform 'knowledge' into 'wisdom' by simplifying the facts online. They include:

• Omit needless and redundant words

• Keep sentences short

• Use fragments rather than full sentences

• Limit paragraphs to 1 or 2 sentences

• Break up text by using headings, subheadings and bullet points

The real challenge is to do all that and to still make the words that are left convey useful, persuasive and enlightening messages.

It is a learned skill to retain core messages while keeping copy simple, short and to-the-point; and it takes a specific proficiency to do it using words that will compel website visitors to become customers.

Strong Ideas’ writers have learned the skills, and possess the proficiency. We can turn your ‘knowledge’ into ‘wisdom’ and your website visitors into customers.

www.strongideas.com.au
contact@strongideas.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment